What to do if a child bites his nails?

Martin_T

What to do if a child bites his nails?

Postby Martin_T » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Nail biting is one of the most common habits of children. In this regard, many parents believe that it is harmful, but in general, it is quite normal for a child, and therefore inactive. But I recently read the information that this activity can be a symptom of much more serious pathologies. So, I'm wondering how to wean a child biting his nails?
Richard

Re: What to do if a child bites his nails?

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 am

First you need to understand why a child eats nails: what shaped him such a need? The reasons are varied: stress, heredity, internal aggression, physiology or plain boredom. It is believed that, biting his nails, children subconsciously aligned; gnaw their defects, errors, problems. Parents must first ensure that the baby is in comfortable environment and to eliminate anything that might disturb it. Also, you must remember: do not scold him for this habit and do not accentuate it, before going to sleep it is good to give tea or warm milk with the addition of a teaspoon of honey, and teach the child to take power itself, make him a manicure, accustom to care for nails, paying attention to their beautiful and well-groomed look, when they are not bitten; as soon as you notice that he brings his hands to his lips, distract him for something.
Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm

It may be an interesting problem for the psychologist, but quite a trivial matter for the parents. If the child starts doing that, you just need to make him stop every time. There is not benefit that child might get from that habit, it is pretty obvious. And I do not think that it may be caused some serious psychological problem, that needs some further and deeper investigation. That is simply a bad habit, and nothing more then that. I did it too when I was small, but several reproaches from my father made me overcome that habit. So I dont think it's a really serious matter to discuss)
Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:23 am

First, adult actions should be consistent - do not look for a quick effect from screaming or spanking. You should not scold the child for this habit, yelling at him because the kid will be more anxious, it will have more psychological problems - already from now the -this fear of adults. You need to talk to the kid about what is bothering him, perhaps he needs help in some kind of problems. Once a child receives this assistance, nail-biting can pass itself. You need to pay more attention to the child, to give him more support than it was before. Move the focus from the child's hands on something more interesting. Simply put, it is good if the child's hands are constantly busy. Then he will not have time to bite his nails.
Chase

Postby Chase » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:00 pm

i know that it is really very common problem but i know one way which may helpyoou fight with this problem. they make a product that you can but that you put on their nails. it makes it taste really bad and he won't want to put his fingers in his mouth. try to stay on top of trimming his nails so he has nothing to chew off. If the reason you are concerned about him chewing is germs then try to make sure he washes his hands regularly. try your best to ignore the behavior because the more attention you give it the more he might do it.
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:38 pm

That is one of the nasty bad habits of the childhood. I did not bite my nails, for example. I had another problem : I was always scratching my head. That caused even some troubles for my parents, because there was once a time when the question was raised in my school class, if I have fleas) I still do that sometimes, very rarely, when I am very concentrated on doing something. It is better to teach the child not to do that, of course. You just need to stop him at once you see he started to do that again. And explain him that each time he feels the urge to bite the nail, he should restrain himself. Tell him this is a kind of a game)
James2

Postby James2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi friends) The most important thing is to keep what's basically a nuisance from escalating into a heated issue or becoming charged with emotion. Stifling your irritation for as long as you can and then snapping, "Stop biting your nails! I can't stand it!" may turn out be the opening shot in a long and exhausting power struggle. In general, as long as your child's not hurting himself and doesn't seem overly stressed out, your best bet is to keep his fingernails neatly trimmed, remind him to wash his hands often, and try to keep your attention focused elsewhere. If you pressure him to stop, you'll just add to his stress and risk intensifying the behavior.
Paul_O

Postby Paul_O » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Dude, this is a simple bad habit, there is no tragedy in that! There are lot of people (and I see some of them here on the forum)) who will start to analyse all the psychological reasons of this habit, who will tell you lot of "wise" things and terms from the psychological books. I think that everything is much more simple then that. You see that the child bites his nails, come and tell him "Bob, stop that, that's grouse". The child will stop doing that. For some time. Then next time do the same thing) and after several times the kid will stop. Just ask him time and time again, no need to made a "taboo" of that)
Prescot

Postby Prescot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 pm

If your baby bites nails regularly, you should first figure out why he does it. That is, to analyze the situation and understand what is bothering your child and causes him to feel stress, and then try to eliminate it. Also, try to monitor more closely the state of the child's nails - cut them as soon as they start to grow. Thus, the baby will not be tempted to nibble his nails. Don’t forbid your child this habit, because the forbidden fruit is known to be sweet. It is better to explain to him why nail-biting is bad: this deforms nail plates, nails become ugly, under the nails live harmful microbes that enter the stomach, and so on.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 pm

this is another "problem" that is not a problem at all. Just tell the kid not to do that, slap slightly it's palm several times. Slap harder, if that will be necessary. the kid may cry for some time in the beginning, but he will get rid of the bad habit. And there are lot of such bad habits, that possessed us in the childhood. the sucking of the thumb, for example. I confess, I did that) And it took a lot of efforts from my parents to help me to overcome that. One time they put some mustard on my finger.. that was pretty brutal, wasn't it? I suppose that is the reason I became so tough guy)

Return to “Fathers’ section”