How can I get my baby to sleep without a pacifier?

Paul_O

Re: How can I get my baby to sleep without a pacifier?

Postby Paul_O » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Andreas_Maroon wrote:I needed the pacifier all the time

you poor kid) How are your teeth now? Do you have a habit to such a thumb now?:)) Ok, jut kidding, no offences) I did not ever had an addiction to the pacifier.. And I do not think that is a big problem really. As soon as the kid will be eager to start talking, the need of the pacifier will go away by itself.. the trouble is that some people are making their kids such that stuff.. And "making" the kid to do something is never a good idea. So do not sweat it, all will be fine with the kid, with the pacifier, or without it) But it is better to get along without this thing, as for me.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:04 pm

There is a good way.. good and bad in the same time) I already told in one of the previous posts, that I sucked my thumb when I was small.And that habit persisted until I was four years. I sucked my thumb all the time. It turned out to be that I got this habit from my parents - they did not have the pacifier for some reason, and when I started to suck my thumb instead, they thought that will be just fine. So this may be a good way out for you) I am kidding actually, if you did not understand) Some guy here already wrote you that you should just take the kid on your hands.
Easton

Postby Easton » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 pm

if you gave the pacifier to your child all the time then it would be really very difficult for you to make him sleep without it. i am not a big fan of pacifiers, i think that there are a lot of other natural ways to calm your child and to get him sleep without this weird thing. it has a lot of disadvantages and it may even hurt the child. but of course it is your child and your choice what to do with it. i suggest you choosing the other way. just stop giving the pacifier and that is it. but be patient.
Josh_H

Postby Josh_H » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Well, your kid is still a small one and i do not think that it is so important to make her sleep without it... Let you child to be a small one untill time comes to grow up. cause it wil be too soon, believe me... Just be patient my friend and be near the kid.
Brendon_L

Postby Brendon_L » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm

If your kid a small one then you may just bear it somehow untill he is ready to sleep without it, you know. however there are some ways to do it, for example you may find some additional methods of uling him. for example read a fairy tail or something)
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:10 pm

.. and as I said previously, in some other post - I have magical hands! when I am holding the kid, it always calms down and starts to get sleepy. That works for the small suckers in age from 6 month to 2 years, true story) Speaking seriously, you may try some music. and I am not speaking about classics - which became really popular recently for the pregnant women and cow farms. I am speaking of the trip hop, like Morcheeba, for example. The music is smooth, rhythmical, and even adult people always getting sleepy during the songs)) Or choose something smooth and quiet that you like.
florian

Postby florian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:52 pm

The advice I was given (which worked!) is that when I put dd to bed I don't give the pacifier for 1 minute. The next night it is 2 minutes and so on until she falls asleep without it. It took a while and you, your partner and any other carer MUST be committed to the process
Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 pm

florian wrote:The advice I was given (which worked!) is that when I put dd to bed I don't give the pacifier for 1 minute.

that is a nice idea, it never came into my mind) Good that i do not need that any more.. I mean my daughter, not myself of course) Speaking about me, my parents never gave me the pacifier. I was a pretty quiet baby. the pacifier is a simple imitation of the mothers breast.. Though we started to treat it as the convenient way to make the kid shut up) that does sound pretty cynical) I would advise not to use the pacifier. If the kid is crying, take it on hands, caress it and sing it the lullaby, what can really be better then that?:) Both for the baby and for the parents. that is my opinion.
JanisNiv

Postby JanisNiv » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am

I think the main thing here is to do everything gradualy, you know? i you decided to make it as a habbit, then turn it o or an hour at irst, or for several minutes... them more and more, you know... but as for me is a kid is small, then he can sleep with a paciier or some time.
Miller

Postby Miller » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Gradually begin to restrict the use of pacifiers: do not take it with you on the street, do not allow sucking while bathing and games, while watching cartoons, let to use it only before going to sleep. Plan a kind of "goodbye." You can present it in a playful way. For example, tell your child that in a few days or a week night fairy comes, takes a pacifier, and in return it will leave the baby a gift. So the baby will get used to the idea that it will soon have to say goodbye to the pacifier, but he will have time to get used to the idea. Don’t scold the kid, because he sucks a pacifier but praise when he does not suck it for a long time. Try not to scold or punish the child in this period of time, and not to introduce other changes in his life.

Return to “Fathers’ section”