How can I get my baby to sleep without a pacifier?

Richard

How can I get my baby to sleep without a pacifier?

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

My little child can't sleep without his pacifier. He wakes me up when it's fallen out of his mouth. I have to get up and put it back in, but it is really exhausting. Moreover, I've read that it can cause a bda effect on his teeth. I want back to wean him off his pacifier! How can I do it successfully?
V_Vegas

Re: How can I get my baby to sleep without a pacifier?

Postby V_Vegas » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

Hey Richard! You will have to survive several sleepless nights in order to help the kid to overcome that habit. How old is your child, by the way? That is true that you wrote about the teeth. But it depends on the age . If it is still a small baby - it is ok. When he starts to have teeth - then it would be a bad idea to give him the pacifier.. that can cause the need for teeth brackets in the future. You will have to caress the kid and hold it on your hands , until he will fall asleep. Sorry, there is no other way) Maybe you should start doing that on the weekend - when you do not need to go to work on the next day.
Moppy

Postby Moppy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi guys) I have a dauther) Our life was great for the first 12 weeks, after that our daughter was waking up every hour or so when her pacifier would fall out and she wouldn't go back to sleep without it. :? :? :? She had never really done this before but it made for some really long, sleepless nights for the both of us. I came here for advice and ended up with a soloution for us. :lol: :lol: :lol: We got rid of the paci altogether and she is sleeping much, much better without it. We tried the approach letting her have it at bedtime and taking it away after she was asleep and that didn't really work so we went cold-turkey.
Paul_O

Postby Paul_O » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 am

It is better to get rid of the pacifier as soon as you can. Actually as soon as the mother ends to breastfeed the baby - there is no point to continue using this thing. My parents never used it at all - but as they told me - I was a pretty calm baby.. What is the pacifier - basically it is the way to "shut up" the baby) Sounds pretty rude - but that is so. When you use that thing for too long time - it develops bad psychological habits - that can be noticeable even in much older age. It's the way Freud was putting it, at least) And when you give it to the child for too long - it definitely had bad influence on the teeth growth, that is a well known fact.
Prescot

Postby Prescot » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I agree that you should teach your baby to live without a pacifier as soon as possible. You can say that your child is already old enough to use it. Set a time limit, for example three days, for your child to have a chance to say goodbye to his pacifier. You can also replace a pacifier with something else but then you’ll have to get rid of some other object!
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Well if your kid is too smal, why should he sleap without it???? Cmon it is a child and his organism is still young... Nothing bad would happen to his teath. My son sometimes even sleeps with me and i do not find it wrong. When he needs me I am always near and will be forever))
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:06 pm

For me it was rather difficult, because to take a way my baby’s pacifier was the same thing as to take away his favorite toy! I can advise some funny things: physical fatigue for the baby and the charge of patience - for you. If you want to eliminate the habit of falling asleep with a pacifier, 3-5 days will be enough. But during this time you should make the day of your baby active and especially at night, you can take a walk before going to bed, bathe him in a large tub and cool water for about half an hour, then he will need a good feed and only then you can put him to bed. In other words, a baby's body has to spend a sufficient amount of energy to be ready to go to sleep, regardless of external circumstances.
V_Vegas

Postby V_Vegas » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 am

Adam wrote:physical fatigue for the baby

Yes, make the small guy to work out in the gym... Good set of squats is the best!)) Just kidding) A good point,Adam, I will remember that. Say, is it possible not to use the pacifier at all, and , for example, to make the kid suck his own thumb? Or it will be an even worse habit? And it will be harder to get rid of it , yes... since you cannot take away the thumb.. I think I did answer myself this question) Anyway, I think that it is better to get rid of these childish habits as soon as possible. My mother did not ever used the pacifier. She told me that I was a very quiet child , and that all her female friends with babies were envy))
Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 am

We never used the pacifier for our Susan. She was always s a very calm child, and if she was crying, that always meant there was a good reason for that) It was really interesting to observe her behaviour when she was awake and alone. Some people start to cry at once and want to be taken on hands, caressed etc. She was just laying in her cradle, looking around and making those tiny movements as all the babies do. It was as if there was a much more adult personality in her tiny body! I put a webcam above her cradle and made some videos actually. And no pacifier. We are simply very lucky and happy parents)
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:49 pm

This reminded me much of my own childhood) I needed the pacifier all the time, as my mother told me afterwards. I was not able to sleep without it, I was crying all the time. So eventually my parents took it away completely only when I was three and a half. And till that time I already had problems wit my first teeth.. In the end, I had to wear brackets when I was the teenager, in order to repair the damage that the pacifier caused to the position of my teeth. That was a good lesson for me, as for the future father. I will be trying to avoid the use of pacifier as hard as I can)

Return to “Fathers’ section”