When and how to wean a baby from the bottle?

Richard

When and how to wean a baby from the bottle?

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Sucking reflex in children is the strongest, so attachment to their bottles with nipples is quiet clear. But some time later, the young parents start to fear the day when they will have to wean a child from the bottle. So we came up with this situation. I feel that the time has come, but do not know how to do it! I need your advices!
Adam

Re: When and how to wean a baby from the bottle?

Postby Adam » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Weaning from the bottle is carried out only when the baby will acquire some of the skills of independence, that is, he can sit down without the help of outsiders, and he eats with a spoon and drinks from the cup itself. Most offer crumbs game-tea. Let starts to imitate the adult members of the family, and drink of the cup. Do not feel sorry about the broken items of the service - it's just a cup, and the fascination with this interesting game will help him to completely forget about the bottles. Gradually and safely wean the child is not very difficult from the bottle, because this is not so unsolvable problem. But to delay the process is not necessary. Experts say that the use of a nipple at the age of 1.5 years could have a detrimental effect on the formation of a correct bite and the further development of the child's teeth.
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:10 pm

I did not such the bottle, when I was small. I know that sometimes the sucking reflex may persist longer in the child behaviour, then it should. then kids usually start to suck their thumb. All you need to do to get rid of that is to reprimand him - I do not see any other way getting rid of that reflex. Speaking about the pacifiers and the bottles - I would rather prefer not to give those to the kid at all. Those are completely useless for the kids development, perhaps they are even doing a bad job for it, by allowing this habit to linger on. So it's better not to use them at all.
Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 pm

There was a similar question here about the pacifier. My answer will be the same : when - as soon as possible, how - just take it away. How else can you do that? Negotiating with the small sucker?) I think that you are trying to make a problem where there is no problem on the first place. Such simple questions do have very simple answers, and you do not need to bother doctors and psychologists in order to solve those. We did not use the pacifier for Susan. And she is not eating from the bottle any more as well. She did not miss it much, when we took it away, though.. Seems that she found the cereal nutrition more tasty then milk.
Miller

Postby Miller » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:45 am

It is not possible to name a particular age, when it is necessary to begin to wean from the bottle. From the point of view of psychology and physiology, we can say that there is a period of readiness for farewell with this attribute infancy, but with all the children it comes at different times. Do not wean abruptly. Give your child the opportunity to quietly and smoothly through this stage of maturation. Choose the right moment. The period of separation with a bottle should not coincide with any significant changes in the life and stress. Encourage the child to eat from their utensils and drinking from a cup. For this purpose, firstly, all these objects must appear in the building and be always in sight. Choosing the first baby dishes, do not overdo it. When the baby is ready to completely abandon the bottle, you can create a unique ritual.
Rick14

Postby Rick14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm

I wouldn't do it in one day. When? -after 1 year. How?- Step by step. At home you can try to substitute it with a cuo from time to time. But if the child irritates or screams don't do it. You can imagine a story and tell a child that this is a present of a fairy. Every time the child will drink from the cup he will grow and become healthy and strong. Like a magic cup. I'm sure he'll like a story and start trying. But while going out you can take a bottle with you. As soon as he gets used to drink at home with a cup you can do the same with your going out. Don't make psychological trauma for a child while forbidding him a bottle at all. )))
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:06 pm

the neighbours do have daughter of 5 years. She was sucking the bottle up to 4 years - can you imagine that? Now they have to put the braces on her teeth - because they started to grow wrong way. The most funny is that parents do not want to admit that it was their fault that it had gone that far. I do not remember what do they put the blame on - but they do not take the blame on themselves that is for sure) Silly people, arent they?:) Anyway - I will try to take away the bottle as soon as it will be possible. Maybe there are some other options for the feeding?
Williams

Postby Williams » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:58 pm

i think that it may be really very hard but as you know there is nothing impossible and you may get everything you want, you are not alone with your problem, there are a lot of other parents. i think that the best thing would be to do it step by step, do not press on your child because in such a way you may scare him and he would have stress because of your actions. if you see that now he is not ready to it then it is better to wait until he would be actually ready for it. i wish you good luck and i really hope that you would succeed in it and everything would be alright.
JackHunter3

Postby JackHunter3 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:29 pm

i cannot be sure about when but i know how))) well, you have to be foxy here and choose the right time. cause during certain ages children are more likely to try to appease their parents. Also, there is a certain age before which you should not wean your child. 8-) 8-) Buy a cup instead of a bottle and switch it.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 pm

My God... another dude is asking how to wipe the babies ass.. Guys.. how do you think - what is going to happen to the kid when you are going to stop feeding it from the bottle - and will do that some other way, more reasonable for his age? Will the kid get sick, will something else bad happen? No - and you know that. I do have a strong feeling that you are hysterically afraid the kid is going to cry.. .and you will not know what to do. Sure he will cry, when something , that was part of his comfort, is going to disappear. But that dies not mean it will hurt your kid in any way!

Return to “Fathers’ section”