Braces

Miller

Braces

Postby Miller » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:28 pm

I have a son. Recently, we went to the dentist and he found that the child has incorrect bite. Therefore, the doctor advised us some time vilify braces. But my son is not very happy about it. I think he even hesitates. Although I know that I need something to do with it until he grew up, then it will be harder to change something. How to help a child stop hesitate braces?
Adam

Re: Braces

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

The best option - to make the idea of braces to come in a child's head itself. This can happen if someone respected in the classroom or in the yard wearing braces. The child understands that it does not deprive a man of his appeal, but rather is designed to add it. A similar effect can be achieved by paying attention to the attractive boys and girls who do not hesitate to smile with braces. Choose the right moment. The child may experience uncertainty in the first days and weeks after the installation of braces. Therefore, it is wise to put the braces in the spring - in May. Then the child will have time to adjust to the new conditions - to train.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:10 am

I am agree with Adam, that is a worthy advice. the kid of this age always looks for social acceptance by the people, who are "higher" then he is in their social hierarchy. It would be a good idea to google for some celebrities, who are wearing or wore the braces. When he will see that it is not a shame, he will accept the idea. Besides, you need to explain him the reason for wearing those. that in several years his teeth will have not a very fancy look, and that this is just the right time to solve the problem. I did wear braces when I was 7, and , surprisingly, i did not have problems with that)
Martin_T

Postby Martin_T » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Convincing a child wearing braces is quite difficult, because some teens are so worried about their appearance that would not clothe these "ugly things" on their teeth. So first of all you should try to convince him that he really needs orthodontic treatment. Have a talk about the ugly teeth and the influence of braces on his teeth. Let the child think about it and respond, whether he wants to continue to live with the ugly protruding teeth and jaws that are so spoil his smile? Pressure and ridicule from peers sometimes be a problem, especially if your child has received an old-fashioned metal braces. With the development of modern orthodontics are now new invisible braces are available in which the majority of children feel comfortable.
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:23 pm

I wore braces when i was small. When the kids in the school saw that - they were really envy, some of them even asked their parents to "buy them those iron jaws as well")) I suppose I was lucky not being bullied because of that) . Try to explain the kid that it is cool! In case if your kid does want to accept them, of course) Someone wrote above that it would be a good idea to find some celebrities, that wore those as well. And if the kids will laugh at him - he should tell them that braces are illuminating in the night. then they all would simply envy, that is for sure)
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:15 pm

Andreas_Maroon wrote:"buy them those iron jaws as well"

that is a a nice one) I do remember one girl in my school who was unfortunate to wear those braces. No one laughed at her though. There was only one boy who did that, without having a big impact on her with that. The funny thing is that now they are married) I wonder if you can make a conclusion of that, that the person that is going to laugh at your kids braces will become his \ her partner in the future)) That is a joke, of course, but there might be truth in a joke of that kind. How is your kid there, got his braces already? What's the situation in the school?:)
Paul_O

Postby Paul_O » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:22 am

Oh, how nice of you that you mentioned this topic) Braces were a huge problem for me back in the times when I was in the school. I wore those for a year. And then in several years I had to put them on again - because, as it turned out to be, something went wrong - and my teeth started to get back on their previous, incorrect positions. The first time it was really hard for me - because the kids I was studying with were pretty rude. the second time though I was in the 7 grade - and it all was ok. I made myself the reputation already - and no braces could possible change it)
Rick14

Postby Rick14 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:05 pm

It's true the main thing is to convince him that braces will do him more good than bad. If he worries about his appearance I think you can show him two pictures for comparison- one with the problem another with a brilliant smile after braces. It’s obligatory that doctor explain from the medical point of view the importance of braces and their incredible importance for life. Ask your child about his worries. What is the main point of his reluctance? If he is afraid of his friends’ reaction try to put braces during holiday time. At the first stage he will get used to them himself. He can even boast to some of his friends in the net and see that he will be asked hundred questions. Everyone will get interested and look forward to see him. By that time they already know how your son looks with brackets.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Rick14 wrote:It's true the main thing is to convince him that braces will do him more good than bad.

You are right of course) but the hard part here is to convince the kid... i mean - they do not know what is the future and the past - they know hat that is - but they are not too much concerned with that.. that carelessness that only the kids and fools are able of. And the saints, if to trust the Bible) So when the kid feels inconveniences right now - that will always be the primary argument for him. and it will be hard to explain him - that having a small inconvenience right now will save him lot of troubles in the future... the future virtually does not exist for them)
Andreas_Maroon

Postby Andreas_Maroon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Just_R wrote:that carelessness that only the kids and fools are able of.

In this case it is a really good occasion to teach the kid some crucial lessons of life. Trust me. Convince him to take the braces, and to accept the mockery of his friends for some time. Make the picture of the teeth before the braces. And then - in some time - when there will be no need for the braces any more - ask him to compare the state of his teeth before and after the treatment. You are going to see that he will understand what had happened - and why did he had to suffer for some months. He will learn the lesson about the "lesser evil". Dammit, this sounds too serious for this topic)

Return to “Fathers’ section”