Surrogacy centres and the baby citizenship

Paul_O

Surrogacy centres and the baby citizenship

Postby Paul_O » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 am

Hello everyone. Recently I thought about one matter - in regards of the surrogacy. I am from the Northern Europe - and my country does not allow double citizenship. Lets say, me and my partner decided to use the surrogacy clinic in other country. The baby will be born in that clinic, of course. And as I know - there is such a thing as "the right of the land" or something like that, the law, that is basically saying that the person automatically gets the citizenship of the country where it was actually born. So does it mean that my potential kid will have other kind of citizenship? Did anyone encounter that problem here?
Endi

Re: Surrogacy centres and the baby citizenship

Postby Endi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:13 pm

i have heard about it and i think that it is really possible but to my mind it is better to talk to the lawyer and to know it for sure. i know a lot of couples who move to the other countries because they want to have the child and i it is not allowed to have the child through the surrogacy in their one. if it is allowed to make your baby the citizenship of the country where he is born then it would be great and you would have no problems with it. but if not then you have to think about another option.
Garis

Postby Garis » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 pm

I think to ask a responsible lawyer for help is the best idea. In any case, maybe it is possible to apply for the surrogacy program in other country and make it somehow that surrogacy mother gives a birth to a child in your country. It is just my idea, but who knows, maybe it will work. You can discuss such an option with the lawyer. I wish you good luck!
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am

there are too many fathers here - and too small amount of lawyers.. We need more lawyers on this site)) These guys above put it correctly - you need to consult a good lawyer. I did not say anything new, did not I?:) Anyway - I know that surrogate clinics - some of them at least - use some schemes that allow women - surrogate mothers - to deliver kids during a trip to another country - where it is all legal and allowed... But I do not know how do they deal with the question of citizenship. Theoretically, until a certain age - the parents can submit the change of the citizenship, if they want their kid to be a citizen of the country that does not allow double citizenship.
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:46 pm

I am not so good in Law. You should consult with your lawyer about it. It is not a traditional adoption or surrogacy program, it is special case. I think you should find a good lawyer who is really experienced in this field. Moreover I think it is better for you to find a good surrogacy agency. IT will be much easier for you to go through the program with the help of the agency.
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Wel, we found an agency here in the UK and that is why we did not really have a problem wth his citizenship... But if you get a baby from abroad... wel, you have to consult your agency and they must give you all the necessary information)
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Since there is still not much info here, I decided to make a little investigation by myself. So, there can be different situations. First. If the gay surrogacy is not allowed in your country, and you are taking the program in another country. How to take the baby back to your country? The agencies have the ways, usually. Legal ones or semi legal, so to say, to avoid the child getting the citizenship of the country it was born in. Or there is another way, to move the surrogate mother to the country where the double citizenship is allowed, or , if you get lucky, to get her to your own country for the birth.
V_Vegas

Postby V_Vegas » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:31 am

You will need to discuss that question both with lawyer in the country where your kid will be carried and born, and with the lawyer in your own country. There is no good legislation base about the change of the citizenship in case of adoption in many countries, not even speaking of the way all those laws stack with the rights and freedoms of gays. So this may be a complicated matter. But there are lot of successful stories about adoptions and the surrogacy programs for the gay couples. So I think if you are ready to put a lot of effort and money in this process, you may have high chances for success.
Ben_Roar

Postby Ben_Roar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:13 am

I suppose that may represent a problem for some people, with some unlucky "combinations" of the countries where they live, and where they are passing trough the surrogacy program. Besides, I live in UK, where double citizenship is allowed. So our Susanna has double citizenship. She will, I mean, when she will get the passport. I think this may be a very useful thing in some circumstances. In the same when you are not sure about all the details, it is better to hire a good lawyer... Because in the worst occasion you will not be able to take your child from the country where it was born, and that will be a huge problem.
Just_R

Postby Just_R » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:20 pm

I made some research.. only about my country, US, I am sorry, guys) Anyway, in my country the double citizenship is allowed, so there must be no problems of that kind for me. Also tit is allowed in most part of the European countries and UK. It seem to be a normal practice in the civilized parts of the world. And speaking about the non civilized or less civilized ones, the Third World country.. well. As I know the level of corruption there will allow you to have even ten citizenships for the proper amount of money. Or to renounce the citizenship. So this "problem" is not that big as you may think.

Return to “Surrogacy”